Sura Puttu / Shark Fish Dry Fry

This is an famous south Indian seafood delicacy.


Sura Puttu is an great feast for seafood lovers. It is very delicate and aromatic in flavors. This is a dry fish curry in the form of puttu. This is a great accomplishment with sambar rice, rasam rice or with any other rice varieties.

This is my grandmother’s recipe, My mom followed the same recipe and now I am following it too. I have never made any changes to this good old traditional recipe.

Ingredients : 

Sura / Shark fish - 3 lbs
Onions - 1 cup finely chopped
Green Chellies - 3 to 4 finely chopped
Ginger garlic paste - 2 teaspoon
Garlic - 5 cloves chopped in big dices
Red chili powder - ¼ teaspoon
Turmeric powder - ½ teaspoon
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Salt
Oil


Procedure : 

Cut the shark fish into medium recipes (Ask Ur fishmonger to do this, as it is hard to cut in home). Wash the fish properly.


In big vessel bring water to boil and put the shark pieces into it and cook it for 10 to 15 minutes. The fish will turn opaque, this means it’s cooked. Switch of and let it cool a bit.

Now slowly peal the skin of the fish. This will be easy as the fish is cooked fully. Remove the bones also. Squeeze excess water and keep the fish in a different dish, Do this process to all the other fish pieces.

Next flake the fish pieces with your hands. It will be as a dry fish flakes. Make sure there is no water at all. It should be really dry. To this mixture add salt, red chili powder and turmeric powder and mix well with hands.

Now heat oil to a pan and add onion, garlic and green chilies and sauté it for a while. Next add the ginger garlic paste and little salt for the onions and sauté till the raw smell of the ginger garlic is gone.

Add the fish flacks mixture to the pan and mix it well until the onion mixture and fish mixture are well incorporated. Check for salt. Now keep the flames in low and fry this mixture till light brown in color. Finally add the curry leaves and toss it around.

Serve it hot.


Note: Adjust the salt and red chili powder according to ur taste bud.

Use a wide pan for frying the sura puttu as it will be easy to make them toasty.


You may also like my:

   Chettinad Varutha Kozhi          Crab Masala          Chicken Chettinad Gravy          Appam With Mutton Korma


Prawn Biriyani           Shrimp Cutlet         Madras Chicken Biryani

10 comments:

  1. Love sura puttu with hot piping rasam...delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fav with rice..looks very tempting n delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...my favourite dish...looks so good...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious n mouthwatering....looks really yum...first time here..u hv a lovely space..visit mine as time permits....
    Sanyukta
    http://creativesanyukta.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recipe- loved all the flavors going in there :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never ate this ...looks so gud

    ReplyDelete
  7. can I plz have some now...gorgeous pics makes me craving..:P
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this puttu- I clicked my pict in my last trip to India and I lost it somewhere. I love ur version!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Priya and Sharmilee: It it my fav with rice too. Thank u for ur comments....

    @Sanyukta: Thank u for ur comment, Would love to visit urs.

    @Aipi: Thank u

    @Priti: If u r a seafood lover like me, I am sure u would adore this one.

    @Jay: thank u for ur comments..

    @Cham: I was lucky enough to get this fish at my place that time. I used to make this quite often. But nowadays it is not available.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Shark puttu sounds and looks too good.. I used to make it long back, but don't get this fish nowadays in my place..

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online