This is my contribution to AFAM - Lychee... Sig of Live To Eat.... is hosting this month's event....All the best Sig.......
My Lycheey Heaven On Meringue Shells is something similar to Pavlova (an meringue dessert).....It is a very simple dessert.....The crunchiness form the meringue and the fluffiness form the whipped cream make it taste like heaven.....
Basically, I make meringue shell and fill them with lychee flavored whipped cream........How does it sounds????????...
For Leach whipped cream:
Lychee cut into small bits with its own juice - 1/4 cup (I used fresh Lychees)
Heavy whipping cream - 1 cup
Sugar - 1/4 cup
Vanilla - 1/2 teaspoon
For Meringue Shells:
Egg Whites - 3
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Cream Of Tartar - 1/4 teaspoon
Vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon
Food Colour - few drops
Maraschino Cherries - few for garnish
Preheat oven to 275 degrees F
1. Line a large baking sheet with ungreased parchment paper or aluminum foil .
2. Combine egg whites, food colour, vanilla and cream of tartar. Beat until frothy.
3. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and beat until glossy and stiff peaks is formed.
4. Fill this mixture into a large star tipped piping bag and pipe it out on the prepared baking sheet. (try to form a well shape)
5. Bake it for 1 hour 30 mins. Turn off oven, leave meringue in oven with door closed 2 hour for crisper meringue.
6. In the meanwhile freeze a large bowl and the beaters of the hand mixer for 1 hour. Now add cold heavy whipping cream to the cold bowl and start whipping with the cold beaters.
7. When it starts to form little bit, Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, add vanilla and beat until a stiff peak is formed.
8. Next fold in the lyechee bits with it's juices into the whipped cream. (do not over mix it) .
9. Fill this mixture into a large star tipped piping bag and pipe it out on the dried meringue shells. The well shape must me filled with whipped cream. Finally I garnish it with some maraschino cherries.
Whipped cream can be added 30 mins before serving, as meringue will become soft with the whipped cream.
Meringue shells can be stored in an air tight container by lining parchment paper in between each layer for 2 weeks.