A one-pot meal baked and served in an earthenware or glass dish. Basically in casserole dishes, all the food are cooked and they are mixed with cheese and baked until they marry together.
Spinach casserole is one of such type. Spinach is cooked separately and the sauce is cooked separately and they are mixed and baked in the oven.
Casserole are well know by all for there cheesy and golden crust. My favorite part of the dish is the crust (soooo crunchy). I bake spinach casserole every weekend and my family loves it a lot and they are good for health also. So i have selected this spinach casserole for the event Jihva for Ingredients (JFI) for the special theme "Going Green with Green Leafy Vegetables".
Spinach – 1 bunch
Green Chilies – 2
Onions – ½ cup
All-purpose flour – 2 tablespoon
Bread Crumbs – ¼ cup
Butter – 1/4 cup
Nutmeg – ½ teaspoon
Garlic – 1 teaspoon
Milk – 3/4 cup
Cheddar cheese – ¼ cup
Parmesan cheese – ¼ cup
Dried Oregano – ¼ spoon
Dried Parsley – ¼ spoon
Dried Basel – ¼ spoon
Salt – ½ teaspoon
Pepper – 1 teaspoon
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large skillet add 1 tablespoon of butter and add the chopped garlic and green.
3. Now add washed spinach to the pan and wilt it for 2 mins.
4. Remove and keep it aside.
5. In the same pan add 2 tablespoon butter and add the chopped onions and saute it for 2 mins.
6. Now add flour to the onions and saute it for few mins until the raw smell is goes.
7. Add milk to the mixture and stir until all are combined.
8. Put nutmeg, salt and pepper.
9. In the mean while mix bread crumbs with 1 tablespoon of butter and dried oregano, dried parsley, dried basal and the cheddar and Parmesan cheese.
10. When the sauce become thick, mix the cooked spinach with the sauce.
11. Spray the casserole dish and transfer the spinach mixture to the bowl.
12. Now sprinkle the bread Crumbs mixture on the top.
13. Bake it until it become bubbly (for 20-25 mins) and keep in broil for 5 mins until the top is golden brown or until the crust is crispy.
Handy Tips :
1. Green chillies can be added to reduced as per one's taste.
2. Green chillies can be avoided and pepper can be added as per taste.