Butter chicken is an favorite side dish in my family.....It pairs well with both fried rice and chapati.....
I temper the oil and cook onions and tomato puree with some flavoring and then add the chicken pieces and cook then in the gravy. And for some richness and thickness of the gravy I also add ground almond and cashew paste. Then for a special creamy texture....I add Sour Cream.....Usually plain yogurt is used in the butter chicken to make it creamy....But I add sour cream to make it really..really..creamy.... finally to give more flavour I also add some Kastoori Methi.
Chicken - 1 lb (boneless) Cut into small cubes
Onion - one chopped
Tomato puree - 1/2 cup
Cashew & almond paste - 1/4 cup
Ginger & garlic paste - 2 tablespoon
Chilly powder - 2 teaspoon
Coriander powder- 1 teaspoon
Sour cream - 1/4 cup
Turmeric powder- 1/4 teaspoon
Cinnamon- 2" pcs
Clove - 4-5
Cardamon - 3
Bay leaf - 1
Salt - to taste
Orange colour - 1/4 teaspoon
Kastoori Methi - 2 tablespoon
Butter - 3 tablespoon
Oil - 2 tablespoon
1. Heat oil in a pan and add Cinnamon, Clove, Cardamon, Bay leaf. Let it turn light brown.
2. Now add finely chopped onions and fry in oil till transparent.
3. Then add ginger & garlic paste and fry till u get nice aroma out of it.
4. Then add turmeric, chilly, coriander powder with salt and colour powder....mix well.
5. Pour in tomato puree, cashew & almond paste - mix well with water.
6. When it starts to boil add the chicken and add sufficient water for the chicken to boil.
7. When the chicken is cooked, Stir in the butter and sour cream. Little bit of water can be added if needed.
8. Before removing the gravy form heat, Crush the Kastoori Methi leaves and add to the gravy.