Mini Idly Sambar

Idly sambar is one of the traditional south Indian breakfast suitable for all occasions. Me….. I can eat it any time a day… love it so much…




Have tried many recipes for sambar and finally got this one……. They tastes very good with idly, dosa, pongal and vada…… The main ingredient with makes the sambar more tasteful is the shallots (which I call as sambar onion)..... There are lot of difference between the sambar cooked with shallots and without it....Love the sweet taste of shallots a lot....


Ingredients :



Idly batter – 2 cups (recipe)
Ghee – 2 tablespoon

For sambar

Shallots – 1 cup
Toor dal – ½ cup
Tamarind paste – 1 teaspoon
Tomatoes - 2 small
Green chillies – 2
Mustered seeds – 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
Coriander leaves – ½ bunch
Red chilli – 2
Asafetida – 1 pinch
Salt to taste
Oil – 2 tablespoon



For sambar Masala paste
Red chillies – 8
Coriander seeds – 2 to 3 teaspoon
Urad dal – 1 ½ teaspoon
Channa dal – 2 teaspoon
Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds a pinch
Grated Coconut – ¼ cup


Fry 1 onion and 1 tomato in 1 teaspoon of oil and set it aside.

Heat 1 teaspoon of oil and roast all the above masala ingredients except coconut until golden

Let it cool and grind all the roast masalas, onion and tomatoes and coconut…… Water can be added if needed and make it a smooth paste.


Procedure :




Slather the mini idly plate with ghee and fill in idly batter in the plate. Now steam it as usual for 10 mins. Make as many batches needed....







Heat oil in a shallow pan and temper it with mustered seeds, red chilli and few curry leaves and fry the shallots for 2 mins and then add tomatoes and green chillies and statue it for 2 mins.



In the meanwhile cook toor dal in pressure cooker and mash well.

Now add the cooked dal, ground paste, tamarind paste in the pan and add enough water and bring it to boil and add asafetida.



When the sambar is thick enough, remove from fire and garnish with coriander leaves and curry leaves.

45 comments:

  1. Wow eye catching plates! Wonderful idlis sambar. My fam fav those bubbly small ghee idlis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..I love those mini idlies..They look perfect..Love the presentation too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Friends....
    Cham....
    Ya its mine too... Thank u for ur comments....

    Divya:
    Thank u....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sukanya, I absolutely love your new template and the plates and bowls - I am jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cynthia.....
    Thank u for ur comments...

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummyyyy samber idli

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous19/4/08

    I am going to try out your sambar recipe, as as you said i have alsi trid many sambar recipes till now and still in seacrh for the perfect Hotel Sambar recipe :-) And this time hen i go to India, i'm going to buy a mini-idli plate Idli Mould! Thnx for sharing.

    www.zaiqa.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi friends...
    Sagari:
    Thank u...

    Mona:
    Do give it a try and let me know.... Thank u for ur comments....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your mini-idlis look so cute! I have 2 regular idli moulds which I almost never use 'cos I'm not too fond of idlis.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love those mini idli with sambar! lovely presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Friends....
    Tbc....
    Thank u...

    Richa:
    Thank u....

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a lovely presentation! those mini idlis dipped in sambar look heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Uma thank u for ur comments....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those mini idlis are so cute... and nice bowls too.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sig...
    Thank u....

    ReplyDelete
  16. idly -sambhar is one of my fav. and urs looks mouthwatering..
    Beautiful Pics too....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Prajusha... Thank u for ur comments...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wondeful picture. I too have that mini idli stand. Idlis come out so cute. idli-sambar looks delicious.
    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Meera....
    Thank u for ur comments.... Its always my pleasure to explore new food blogs......

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow!looks so yummm!love those pictures too

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Dhivya.... Thank u for ur comments...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Sukanya, is there a problem with your rss feeds? It gets redirected to a different site! Is it just me?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Sig,Thanks for bringing this to my notice. I really dont know where it went wrong with my RSS Feed. I am working on this ..Hope I will get this fixed Soon....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Sukanya, it is working now.. This post popped up in my reader... :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Sukanya!! Mini idlis are looking sooooo cute! I love those plates, too. I've been having the same problem as Sig with feeds getting redirected. Am glad this one arrived!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. the mini idly sambhar is one of my fav breakfast in any Udipi hotel sukanya.. thanks for dropping by blog which led to urs..:D nice blog u have here!!

    Siri

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow, that looks lovely Sukanya..my hubby lves ghee idlis, and these would be just perfect for him!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love mini idlis in small onion sambar... hotel style! :) very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Sig...
    Thank u once again...

    Hi Kalai:
    Thank u for ur comments....

    ReplyDelete
  30. What grinder do you use...Idli Sambhar looks awesome

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous12/11/08

    Hi Sukanya,
    This recipe is awesome!!Actually i was searing for this one..i tried it and its was really good..My hubby just loves it..I m making it atleast once in week;)
    cheers,
    Mahishanky

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous13/11/08

    Hi Sukanya,
    recipe looks nice.
    Bt im confused.
    how many onions(1 cup?) and tomatoes to add while frying along with green chillies

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anonymous28/7/09

    Wow, a lot of comments already :)
    My search in google for a mini idly sambar recipe led to this. I have noted down your recipe. I will try this today.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  34. V.K.MALINI MURALIDHARAN SAID
    HAI SUKANYA RAMKUMAR THIS IS VERY DELECIOUS DISH .I LIKE IT. I LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sukanya i just made ur sambar,it was yummy and just like hotel sambar.So many websites post hotel sambar urs is THE BEST.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anonymous15/12/09

    loved your presentation.my son loves mini idlis and when i served him the sambhar i had made using your recipe,he said "mum,it tastes just like the restaurant one"

    ReplyDelete
  37. Nandhini8/1/10

    Wow! Your Idli sambar is very good. I tried it and came out too good.I make atleast once in a week.Thanks for the good recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  38. i tried this sambhar 2 yrs ago n trust me i cook it almost evry week itz my familys fav food.itz taste is amazing

    thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  39. First time here.. You have a very nice blog.. wow mouthwatering idli sambar.. My all time favorite...

    Do visit my space when you get free time.

    http://anusouthrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  40. Anonymous30/4/10

    HI I tried this recipe.. it came out very very yummy.. thanx for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  41. hi thank you very much for such a wonderful recipe.. now i have become fan of this sambar and make this very frequently...

    ReplyDelete
  42. rathidevi9/6/10

    hai
    very useful post
    thank you
    rathidevi

    ReplyDelete
  43. Kaveri3/11/10

    Thanks for a wonderful reciepe. It's really awesome.I did this for Diwali party every one appreciate me...

    ReplyDelete
  44. First time here. You have a wonderful space. Love the presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hey ...

    Nice recipe and sure going to try this today...

    Do try my space .... hope you'll enjoy... :)
    http://preethisculinary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online