Dhai Puri

                           Dhai puri is a satisfying and elegant evening time snack.





This is my favorite chat for ever. The nice thing about dhai puri is that, it can be put into in a flash if some ingredients are handy. Whenever I order dhai puri in a chat shop, I used to think it is very hard to make one in house. But once I found out the recipe I was really surprised how easy it was. The main key ingredients of any chat are the green chutney and the sweet and sour chutney.

Dhai puris are great for any parties or get together as they can be assembled fast. All the preparations can be made in advance and at the last minute it can be built. Love the green chutney and sweet chutney a lot. Sweet chutney can be good in freezer for a very long time. They taste very good for spicy samosa, pani puri, and for behl puri. On the other hand green chutney is also so versatile. They can be used in so many different ways in chats.



Ingredients :

Small Puris – 10
Potato – 2
Chat masala – 1 teaspoon
Whipped Yogurt – 1 cup
Sweet and Sour chutney – ¼ cup (recipe follows)
Green Chutney – ¼ cup (recipe follows)
Chat Masala – ½ teaspoon
Sev – ½ cup
Coriander leaves – ½ bunch
Salt


Procedure :


Boil the potatoes, mash them with chat masala, turmeric and salt.

Make a small hole on the top of the puri and fill them half the way with mashed potato.

Arrange then on the serving plate. Pour some green chutney on top of each puri. Then pour some sweet chutney on top of it.

Finally top it with whipped yogurt and garnish with sev, coriander leaves, chili powder and cumin powder.




Sweet and Sour Chutney:

Pitted dates – 1 ½ cups (chopped into small cubes)
Cumin seeds – 1 tablespoon (Dry roasted for 3 minutes)
Tamarind paste – 1 tablespoon
Chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
Salt
Water




Puree all the above ingredients except water, into a smooth paste. Then add water to adjust the thickness of the chutney. The chutney should be pourable.

(This will keep in the refrigerator up to 6 months thin it with water as necessary. This chutney tastes good with all type of chats.)

Green Chutney:

Mint leaves (chopped) – 1 cup
Coriander leaves (chopped) – 2 cup
Green chillies – 2
Cashew nut – 10
Garlic – 2 cloves
Sugar – 1 teaspoon
Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
Salt




Combine every thing in a blender and grind it smooth paste. (This chutney also tastes great with all types of chat items, I use this for making Bombay sandwiches)

52 comments:

  1. Hi sukanya
    i would like to thank you for passing by my blog and leaving encouraging words..it helps. Now this dhai puri is really nice and the visual appeal shows that it must have very well made..i simply agree with you that the main ingredients of any chat are the green chutney and the sweet and sour chutney. Well done !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the dhai puri looks so delicious Sukanya! Never heard of it before. Yummy chat indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like perfect tea time evening snacks, it has close resemblance to sev puri....but chats are my all time fav snacks...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious, eye catching recipe with wonderful clicks....puris looks scrumptious Sukanya..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks very yummy and tempting

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks too too tempting..Wish I had this rite now..I can just see ur blog n drool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7/11/08

    It's so tempting. I really want to eat it now please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You pictures undoubtedly tempt us to have some! they look very authentic Sukanya.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one of my favourite snack dear. I love the sweet and spicy flavours in this recipe. Bookmarked will try this soon and let u know. Thank u for the recipe and big hug for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this chat, i am drroling here. It reminds me the time we had eating them in heaps when we were in India few months back.
    Wish i had this plate now with me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. dahi puri is really very fantastic. The pictures in ur blog are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks delicious - I would like to inspire you -
    Check this

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Sukanya, Long time:) I was on a blogging break for sometime and now joined the recipe marathon:) I see I missed so many posts of yours, and iam glad i checked it out now, the dhai puri and blackberry dessert looks too too good:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never made at home, but usually eat all chat in near by chat corner :) Looks fantastic as usual !

    ReplyDelete
  15. HEY SUKANYA I WAS GOING TO MAKE THEM FOR MY GUESTS THIS WEEKEND AND YOU BEAT ME IN THIS POSTED IT AHEAD :) THEY LOOK AWESOME

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful, colorful chaat! Love this one, Sukanya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW dahi puri, looks mouth-drooling yummmmmm entry dear!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wonderful.......so colorful......tempting me.:(

    ReplyDelete
  19. I only had dahi puri when I came to Mumbai, but now it's my favorite chaat too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely and mouth watering.I have puris,going to make them right now.Thanks and thanks.Your pics had me drooling.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We have a stuffed flat-bread called dhal puri but it is so very different from the dish you have here. More for me to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a pretty picture! That was a quick fix, store bought puris save so much time!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow this is a gorgeous photo,yummy chaat,now I want some!Thanks for the wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love all kinds of chaat.....you've made me crave some now. I take the easy way out, though....just walk to a nearby chaatwala and buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ah, I love this chaat, the sweet-and sour taste with crunchy pooris is a killer! :) I haven't made this in a long time.. but after seeing your pics, can't wait anymore.. :) All set to make it this weekend..

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mouthwatering stuff! Is chaat masala store bought, or can it be made at home?

    ReplyDelete
  27. very tempting pics Sukanya. n dahi poori is mouthwatering. lovely. n thx for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  28. it looks perfect pic and colurful

    ReplyDelete
  29. Chai and Chaat together,am I invited?:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. wow..am drooling..that looks delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Sukanya,
    First time here, you have beautiful blog with delicious and tempting recipes, I am glad to have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  32. mouthwatering dahi puri sukanya

    ReplyDelete
  33. Would like to invite you for a coffee at My blog
    Pls join me :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. OH my!!!I simply love chaat!!!thats one of the things i miss most from india...ur dhai puri is so pretty damn tempting and beautiful..so well presented..good one :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Like you say it is perfect for an evening snack and acts as a nice filler in between meals:)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yummy sukanya...u made my day. But now I am looking forward to eating it too:)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Chats are always sought after by everyone everywhere. These look simply fab

    ReplyDelete
  38. OMG OMG!!! i am self inviting to ur place sukanya :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Dibs....
    I use store bought chat masala. It can also me bade at home, never tried making one.

    Thank u for all of ur sweet comments my friends......

    ReplyDelete
  40. wow thatz a delicious plate :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Amazing dude, perfect for tea time! Love the pic's so much...

    ReplyDelete
  42. woo sukanya..this is a too gud and wonderful looks..nicly presented...i loved it sooo much

    ReplyDelete
  43. wonderful presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Dahi puri looks very delicious and amazing sukanya ..Pics are drooling...

    ReplyDelete
  45. Join in the Sweet Event going in my blog!
    http://srishkitchen.blogspot.com/2008/11/efm-event-for-month-november-with-theme.html

    ReplyDelete
  46. dear sukanya, theres something for u on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Got something for you in my blog dear...please trail back to me.

    ReplyDelete
  48. looks delish ! great for tea time. Nice pic.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Lovely dahi puri...feel like having it now!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Got something for you u at http://memoryarchieved.blogspot.com/2008/11/spicy-vegetable-kurma.html

    ReplyDelete
  51. Anonymous14/11/08

    I have a surprise for you in my blog:).

    ReplyDelete
  52. I could not comment on the chocolate trifle, as your comment section was disabled. looks yum!

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online