Sweet Coconut Kozhukattai & A Sweet Surprise

This Sweet Coconut Kozhukattai is very famous in south Indian’s festivals. No auspicious occasion is fulfilled without this kozhukattai. This is mainly made as a neivedhyam for Lord Ganesh chaturthi.







Sweet Coconut Kozhukattai is my favaratie sweet snack. Though it is a sweet recipe for vinayagar chathurthi (Lord Genesh’s birthday), in my family mom used to make it quite often. How much ever she makes, the bowl will get empty very quickly. As a kid we used to paly with Kozhukattais by making different funny shapes. But when made for neivedhyam we kids will not not be allowed to make a mess with the doght,….. It will be made with lot of care and perfection. As a grown up I too share hands with my mom to make perfect Kozhukattai .


At my last India trip I found this Kozhukattai mould in a shop and bought one. I was wondering how to use it, I did not had any idea how to make Kozhukattai out of it, finally got one method in my mind and I tried it out, It turned out fairly good enough.


Well, This is my contribution toAFAM - Coconut... Suganya of Tasty Palettes.... is hosting this month's event....All the best Suganya.......

Ingredients :


For the Dough:
Rice flour – 1 cup
Water – around 1 ½ cups
Salt – ½ teaspoon
Oil – 1 tablespoon

For the Filling:
Fresh coconut – 1 cup
Jaggery – ½ cup or more
Water – 2 tablespoon
Cardamom Powder – 1 teaspoon





Procedure :


Dough: In a non stick sauce pot bring the water to a boil. Then add the oil and salt to the water, now add the rice flour to the boiling water and stir it continually until a soft ball is formed. More hot water or flour can be added according to the need. Remove the dough form heat and let it cool for a few minutes and knead the dough for 2 minutes or until the dough become soft and playable.

Filling: Break the jaggery into small peaces. Mix the jaggery and water in a small sauce pot and bring it to a boil. Allow the jaggery to dissolve completely and become thick sightly. Now add the coconut to the jaggery mixture and cardamom powder and mix it together. More coconut can be added if needed. Allow the mixture to cool.

To make the Kozhukattai: Take a small ball of dough and make it to a perfect round and make a hole in the middle and fill it with the coconut filling and close the hole with the remaining dough left in the sides of the hole, like a small dumpling package. Now steam the dumpling for 10 to 15 minutes.

To make the Kozhukattai with the mould. First liberally oil the mould, then stuff the dough into the closed mould by making a hollow hole in the middle, then fill in the filling and then close the opening with some more dough and then unmould it and this forms a perfect shape.

A Sweet surprise:

I have Won this month's EatHealthy Fiber Rich event. I am fully surprised and flattered. I did not expected this at all. I have no words to tell about my happiness.......Any ways Thank u Sangeeth Raghunathan for the prize.

Eat Healthy - Fiber Rich


An Tag and some more awards:

Jamie of Flavor pantry has tagged me for this MEME so that I can share a little bit more about myself with you. Thanks Jamie for the tagging me

What was I doing ten years ago?
I was doing my schooling in Chennai.

What are five things on my to-do list for today (non-work related)?
1. Clean the house.
2. Cooking and Blogging
3. Go to gym
4. Practice my driving
5. Shop for some grocers.

What are five snacks I enjoy?
1. Samosas
2. Cinnamon Roll (It is a snack for me)
3. Muruku
4. Sowcarpet Sandwich and Pani pori.
5. All types of puffs

What things would I do if I were a billionaire?
Well, I would go to a world trip with my family and friends.

Places I’ve lived?
Chennai, TN India
Schaumburg, IL
Racine, WI
Milwaukee - WI

Jobs I’ve had:
Didn’t had a chance still know, but wating to get one.

Tag You’re It!
1. JZ of Tasty treats
2. Madhuram of Eggless cooking
3. Prajusha of Magic Kitchen
4. Laavanya of Cookery Corner


INSPIRATIONAL AWARD:
Suma Rajesh of Suma’s cusine and JZ of Tasty treats gave one more surprise for me.I am flattered. This award was come up by JAMIE.



This is given to bloggers whose stories and recipes inspire us. Whether it’s to eat healthier, dive back into our past to conjure up something we ate as children, or just make the light bulbs in our brains go on with a new idea for a recipe.

As recipients of this award, please share with us what inspires you and then pass on the Inspiration Award to 4 other deserving bloggers.

Please let them know what the award means and what to do with it.

Feel free to post the Inspiration Award Logo on your site for the whole blogsphere to see. (logo photo taken by my inspiring friend and co-author of Dueling Foodies Beth.)

As per rules let me share some things that inspires me-

1. I am inspired my by grandmother and my mom’s cooking.

2. My hubby Ramkumar who had a positive and supportive attitude.

3. Many of my friends have inspired me by there boldness.

As per rules I have select 4 bloggers. They are

Asha of Foodie's Hope and Aroma!

Kalai of Samaithu paarkalaam

Jamie of Flavor pantry

Kamala of Moms recipe


Hetal of Isha’s Kitcken and Indranee Batabyal of Mistress of Spices have passed me the rocking girl award and I love to pass it to :



JZ of Tasty treats
Sujatha of Indulge in south Indian home-style cooking
and also to Hetal

91 comments:

  1. wow!! those kozhukkattas look beautiful...just like sculptures out of marble!! loved them....u r simply great sukanya! and a mould for making those, what will people think of, next!?? congrats on winning sangeeth's event and on all the other awards!! love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those look soooooo beautifulllll sukanya

    ReplyDelete
  3. That mould is beautiful, like a artwork! Looks great Sukanya, good job.
    Enjoy the awards, thanks for giving it to me too. Hugs!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi JZ....
    Thank u for ur sweet comments....

    Hi Sagari:
    Thank u...

    Hi Asha:
    Thank u for ur comments....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love koshukattai, we used to havethem as afternoonsnacks when we came from school.
    Congrats with the award and it waw nice to know more about you

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mould looks very pretty..which part of India can I find one ? See, how much I love it!!

    Congrats on all your awards Dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was wondering how u got the beautiful shape, work of mold! Delicious sweet and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Happy Cook:
    I love to have them the whole day HE. HE. HE. Thank u for ur comments....

    Hi Swati:
    HE. HE... I bought in in Chennai - T.Nagar..... Thank u for ur comments....

    Hi Cham:
    Thank u for ur comments....

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely sweet sukanya! I love that beautiful mould too. Congrats on winning the suprise prize in the fibre rich event. Congrats on all the other awards too. Time for celebration with your delicious sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Uma...
    Thank u for ur sweet comments....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on all your awards ! I love the shape of your kozhukatti,the next time I visit India I am going to look for this mold because when made by hand the shape is never this perfect.I love kozhukattai's too and look forward to have an opportunity to have this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous18/6/08

    Yummy tenga kozhukattais :) ... can i have one!
    thats a really nice way to celebrate the awards and winning the eat healthy event. Congrats Sukanya!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kozhukattais look perfect Sukanya.Congrats on ur award..U inspired lot of us by ur decorating skills.Thanks for thinking abt me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. the first thing i thought when i saw this post is "how did u get sucha nice artful shape"?:)...the mould is beautiful sukanya....i was thnking of making this for the event..but glad u did it coz i cant make it this beautiful:)....
    congrats on winning the prize and awards:)..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks so perfect !! My mom used to makes it specially for me :) !! I love it very much !!

    Congrats on ur Award Dear !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Usha:
    Do get it and try it. It's good to use moulds for kozhukattai. Thank u for ur comments....

    Hi Skribles:
    Ya u can dear.... Thank u for ur comments...

    Hi Kamala:
    Thank u for ur sweet words...

    Hi Ranji:
    O O.. That was a nice co-incidence... Thank u for ur comments...

    Hi Archy:
    Thank u for ur comments....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow thhese are so amazing! I have never seen a mould like this before. They look so delicious and I think that the plate you served them on is so beautiful. Nice meme. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. kozhukkattas looks really cute cute and u have presented on the silver plate ..that is also very good....nice mould...i have never seen....congrates on ur awards and came to know u did ur schooling in chennai?...me too the same till degree i was in chennai then went to mumbai...nice knowing u sunkanya...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Jeena:
    Thank u for ur sweet comments....

    Hi Suma Rajesh:
    Nice to know u also did ur schooling in Chennai. These are nothing but stuffed sweet rice dumplings. Thank u for ur comments....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, those are beauties. What a nice mould, and ur pic is excellent too. Congrats on all ur awards Sukanya..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Sukanya, Thanks for your comments on bel puri. Your kozhakattai looks very tempting and delicious. I love kozhakattais, but never came out perfect.. i will try your method sometime in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh..i love kozhukattais..loved the mould.It is on my shopping list for next india trip..:D.Congrats on all the awards.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Maya....
    Thank u for ur comments....

    Hi Mahimaa's :
    Do try it and let me know. Tahnk u for ur comments...

    Hi Maheswari:
    Do buy one, It's really usefull. Thank u for ur comments...

    ReplyDelete
  24. The kozhukattais look wonderful.
    Congratulations on the win, Sukanya!
    It's nice to know you a little better. I lived in Chennai too for a bit.:D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Sukanya. Those dumplings were beautiful. They are almost too pretty to eat, but probably too yummy not to! And thank you so very much for passing the award onto me. You are too sweet! Congratulations to you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, Those moulds are absolutly gorgeous.U know what I was also thinking about the same kozhukattai for AFAM event.great minds think alike I guess :)..LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations on all the awards! The sweets look too good, I know I'd eat so many :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. wow Sukanya Modak looks delicious. I never tried rice flour stuffing. I always make with wheat flour. Resently I also posted my version of modak.

    Congratulations on all awards. Enjoy your awards.

    ReplyDelete
  29. ur kozhukottais look really perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. modak looks yummy,,,congrats for the award ndthnks yafor therecipe of sphagetti in meat ball sauce...nice tag

    ReplyDelete
  31. they looks gorgeous..i loved the mould..it is given such a lovely shape to the kozhukattais..

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congratulations Sukanya and those Kozhukattais look awesome. I did not know about those moulds. That was a great pice of info.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi TBC:
    O u also lived in chennai... That's nice....Thank u for ur comments...


    Hi Jamie:
    Thank u for ur comments...

    Hi Sumi:
    O..... U mean both of have great minds, That's nice... Thank u for ur comments...

    Hi meeso:
    Thank u for ur comments...

    Hi Trupti:
    O that sounds healthy too. Will check out version. Thank u for ur comments...

    Hi Mallugirl:
    Thank u for ur comments...

    Hi notyet100:
    Glad that u liked that. Thank u for ur comments...

    Hi sowmya:
    Ya... very unique shape...Thank u for ur comments...

    Hi LG said...
    Thank u for ur comments...

    ReplyDelete
  34. wondeful Kozhukattai suganya...we too used to make with the same type of molds...amma had some three different shapes...it used to be fun making these..I simply love the coconut kozhukattai...I am waiting for vinayaka chaturthi..:))

    and congrats on winning the prize and also so many awards!

    ReplyDelete
  35. the moulds look so good...need to search for them now..congrats on the awards and ya, the kozhukattai looks yummy...waiting for ganesh chaturti to make them

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sukanya, those kozhukattais look good. Enjoyed reading your meme too.

    ReplyDelete
  37. suku these koyakattais have come out perfect even i want one of those moulds... tooo good...

    ReplyDelete
  38. That luks so nice loved the shape and congrats on teh awards

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow!! Awesome that they're selling molds for kozhukkattais, huh? They looks absolutely beautiful, Sukanya! Congratulations on the awards and thank you so much for thinking of me! I am so flattered! :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Anonymous19/6/08

    Beautiful snack! I know I'd never make these, but I want a mould like yours too - its pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. The shape looks awesome....:)
    I liked ur mold... it is sooo nice..:) i have seen plastic molds but urs is in metal and its awesome..:)
    Where did u get it from??

    ReplyDelete
  42. that mould does look pretty! and so do your treats Sukanya! wish i could taste them!!!

    congrats on your awards, and now get ready to try some Healthy Cooking for another prize!:)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hey Sukanya, this is awesome entry dear. Coconut kozhukattai looks very tempting and mouth-drooling.

    Congratulations on ur awards :))

    ReplyDelete
  44. Fairly good? I think they turned out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  45. i loved your kozhukattai mould!

    congrats on your awards!

    ReplyDelete
  46. The shape looks awesome....:)When I saw the pic I was really drooling.....I like ur mold..Its so nice...Congrats for the awards.....

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hi Srivalli:
    O that's nice..... Thank u for ur comments....

    Hi easycrafts:
    Ganesh chaturti is a nice festival for kozhukattai lovers like us HE..HE..HE... Thank u for ur comments....

    Hi Sra:
    Thank u for ur comments....

    Hi Swati Raman Garg:
    All my friends call me Suku and some call as Suke, Nice to here u calling me like that. Glad u liked the moulds..... Thank u for ur comments....

    Hi SMN:
    Thank u for ur comments....

    Hi Kalai:
    Thank u for ur sweet comments....

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hi Simran:
    The mould is very useful... Thank u for ur comments....

    Hi Shubha Ravikoti:
    I got it in Chennai. U get it in all utensil shop. Thank u for ur comments....

    Hi Mansi Desai:
    Will look into it.... Thank u for ur comments....

    Hi Madhavi:
    Thank u for ur comments....

    Hi Cynthia:
    O... thank u

    Hi Nanditha Prabhu:
    Thank u

    Hi Sireesha:
    Thank u for ur comments....

    ReplyDelete
  49. The kozhukattais look so pretty! I remember my mom having a similar mould.. must get some the next time I visit.
    Nice to read your memes and know a bit more about you. Congrats on the awards :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. Love those beautifully moulded kozhukattais.

    ReplyDelete
  51. i have a small something for you in my blog.. come over and check it :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hi Laavanya:
    O that's so nice. Thank u for ur comments....

    Hi Suma Gandlur:
    Thank u...

    Hi Swati Raman Garg:
    Will check it over.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Love these kozhukkatta, Love the shape, I always have them on Ganesh Chaturti at my friends place, but they were always round. Yours look so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  54. fantastic ..... looks yummyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

    ReplyDelete
  55. Wow, I am drooling at your kolukattais. It reminds me of those days when my mom makes it for vinayagar chathurthi. I like the design of your kolukattais! Very unique and traditional.. During my next india trip, this is a sure thing to buy!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Those are some beautiful kozhukkattais sukanya, I didn't know there is something called a Kozhukkattai mold! Congrats on winning the awards...

    ReplyDelete
  57. Wow lovely kozhukattai!! what a co insident i too posted same recipe in my blog.
    You have beautiful silver instrument for making that.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Wow!
    Looks delicious...
    Feeling like having it...:)

    ReplyDelete
  59. There is a treat for u at my blog:))

    ReplyDelete
  60. hey sukanya, theres something for you on my blog, come and get it!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Hi Sukanya,

    A suprise for you at my blog. Visit here:

    http://teluguruchi.blogspot.com/2008/06/millet-dosa.html

    Hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Anonymous23/6/08

    Is that ever fascinating - never have seen anything quite like this!

    ReplyDelete
  63. Hey, these look so wonderful and that shaper/mould...where did you get it , in India? Would love to get it, It can be used for ever so many things - My mind is just wandering with ideas. BTW, I am hosting a ONE DISH MEAL EVENT, I would love for you to participate. The details are in my site.

    ReplyDelete
  64. hi Sukanya, nice to catch up with ur posts after my break. Sweet is so tempting! Congrats on winning the contest, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  65. Yummy kozhukattas...reminds me of home. Should get a mould , those are truly beautiful too. Where did you pick up this mould from?

    congrats on your awards and also the event.

    ReplyDelete
  66. This Kozhukattai looks delicious,congrats for winning the event.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Breath taking pictures of thenga kozhukattai. Are those made using a mould because they have perfect shape?

    ReplyDelete
  68. u r being very modest sukanya. its come out absolutely wonderful not just fairly good :)

    ReplyDelete
  69. Check out my blog for a sweet surprise

    ReplyDelete
  70. hey suk, whats up!? no news from u!

    ReplyDelete
  71. wow, great looking kozhukattais, u r amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  72. dear sukanya
    thanks for passing by my blog. I love your blog site..there is so much learn and make !

    ReplyDelete
  73. Hi Sukanya,
    The Kozhakkattais bring back memories of Ganesh Chaturthi! They look awesome and the mold looks intricate and beautiful! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  74. first time to ur blog, very nice blog
    And those modaks are looking too good, what a nice n perfect shape,love those moulds. And congrats for ur awards..

    ReplyDelete
  75. wow they look sooo perfect. looks like some carving .. its amazing

    ReplyDelete
  76. hey sukanya! hope u r feeling better now..just sneding this msg to wake u up from the inertia!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  77. Hi Sukanya,
    Those Kozhukattais look so delicious & yummy.

    Anitha

    ReplyDelete
  78. awesome dear... looks lovely

    ReplyDelete
  79. Those Kolkottais look adorable.. perfect to the T!!

    Congrats on all awards.

    ReplyDelete
  80. That looks so nice, do you know where else they sell Kozhukattai mould?

    ReplyDelete
  81. hey sukanya, whats up?? no news from ur side.. how r u doing?

    ReplyDelete
  82. Girl where r u? R u in break?

    ReplyDelete
  83. Hi sukanya,
    after a long gap i stepped into ur blog...wow everything looks gr8 ...and ur cute little kolukattai looks yum ....

    ReplyDelete
  84. on a break, Sukanya?

    ReplyDelete
  85. Sukanya...the modaks look just awesome...the pics are droolworthy and its not an easy feat to accomplish making such delicious beautiful modaks.....congrats on the awards....the cucumber petites are also delicious

    ReplyDelete
  86. hello sukanya..wht happend?..did not c u after long time?..r u ok?

    ReplyDelete
  87. My first visit to your blog..I love the look and feel of your blog and ofcourse ur mouthwatering recipes..Great going gal..

    Paru
    www.brindavanrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  88. Great looking kozhakottais! I love them too but use my hand for the moulding. These look divine, befits the Elephant God!

    ReplyDelete
  89. This simply looks great! I can never get the right shape my mom gets...Please do tell me where you found the life saving mould?

    ReplyDelete
  90. They no ways look fairly well- they ahave come out excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  91. A.Sujatha18/9/09

    I am sujatha from Chennai. Very nice of your Kozhukkattai. Another way of making the dough for kozhukkattai is soak raw rice in water for 1 hour. Grind it to the kind of a dosa/idli flour (liquid), add a 1/4 spoon of salt. Now, heat a kadai with 2 spoons of gingelly oil and pour this content and stir till you dry all the water and the flour comes to a paste(padham - if you touch with your finger, it will not get stuck to it). This flour will be very soft and the kozhukattai will be very soft and anybody can roll it into a beautiful shape

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online