Chicken Chettinad Gravy

Chettinad chicken gravy is my favorite of all the other chicken gravies. I got this recipe form one of my old cookbook. Chicken Chettinad can be done dry or in a gravy form as I have done here.







All might have come across many Chettinad chicken recipes in blogs or in websites or in books. It’s not new to any one but I think mine is different because of the spices I have used. I have tried to get the exact spice used in the recipe. Two main spices are the Mace and Black Stone Flower. They really make a big difference of flavor in the gravy.

Chicken Chettinad is well known to every one because of the spicy gravy in it, this gravy comes to live because of the spice that blends into it. They taste great with paratha, chapattis, idiappam, idly…..many more.


Ingredients :



To marinate the chicken:
Chicken – 1 lb
Lemon juice – 2 teaspoon
Salt – ½ teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon

To dry roast and grind:
Dry red chilli – 10nos
Coriander seed – 2 tablespoon
Cumin seeds – 2 teaspoon
Fennel seeds – 2 teaspoon
Black pepper corns – 2 teaspoon
Cashew nut – 10
Split roasted gram – 2 tablespoon
Cinnamon – 4”
Cloves – 4
Cardamom – 4
Star Anise – 2
Mace – 2
Shredded coconut – ¼ cup

For the Gravy:
Bay Leaf – 2
Black stone flower – 2
Onion – 3 big
Tomato – 1 big
Ginger garlic paste – 2 tablespoon
Red chilli powder – ¼ teaspoon or more
Coriander leaves
Curry leaves
Salt
Water – ¼ cup
Oil – 2 tablespoon


Procedure :


1. Cut the chicken into small peacies and marinate for more than 2 hours.

2. Dry roast the above ingredients(To dry roast and grind:
) for 3 minutes and grind to a fine powder or to a
fine paste.

3. Heat oil in the pan and add the bay leaves and black stone flower and then the ginger garlic paste.

4. Now add the onions and fry for 2 minutes then add the marinated chicken and satue it for few minutes.

5. Pour the ground masala to the chicken and fry it for some time, then add the tomatoes, chilli powder, and salt and pour some water and allow the chicken to cook.

6. Bring it to the desired consistency and add the curry leaves and coriander leaves and sauté it for few minutes.



Awards:

Swati of Chatkhor and Ranji of Ranji’s Kitchen Corner , passed the NICE MATTER Award to me. Thank u friends for passing it to me. I feel very happy to receive it form u girls. Very horned!…. I would like to pass this to u people too, and also to.




JZ of Tasty treats

Sagari of Indian Cooking

Tbc of a The budding cook

Sra of When my soup came alive

Sorry for missing some other friends, will add them in next post…..

Enjoy!.......

35 comments:

  1. It is really spicy ur gravy! That is chettinad cuisine, Love the serving!
    Congrats on your award!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cham...
    Thank u...

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on ur award and very lovely pics.....makes me drool

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sangeeth.... Thank u for ur comments...

    ReplyDelete
  5. your chettinad chicken is just awesome..i made it once from a cookbook and was not happy at all...now that i have got a tried and tested recipe...!!! OMG, r u kidding me sukanya!? thanks a million for the award!!!!! Unbelievable!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting my blog :) I have never heard of black stone flower but I wish I had some... the chicken looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi JZ...
    Do try it and let me know. U realy deserve the award girl... Enjoy.... Thank u for ur comments..

    Hi Meeso...
    All Non - Veg lovers must have some black stone flower with them, they taste so good. Any ways thank u for ur comments...

    ReplyDelete
  8. the color n texture of the gravy is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh..really spicy gravy..loved the look.Congrats on the well deserved award.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i like that blue serving bowl... and gravy looks awesome... seriuosly..will try it for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  11. sukanya..the gravy looks beautiful..I love making chettinad..so next time will try this out...only got to get the black stone flower..not sure if I have it on hand!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bookmarked Sukanya, gave me another for me to cook. Looks delicious, Chettinad name always attracts me!:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Richa:
    Thank u

    Hi Maheswari:
    Thank u...

    Hi Swati Raman Garg:
    Do try it... U will enjoy.... Thank u...

    Hi Srivalli:
    I also love making chettinad dishes. Black stone flower makes a big difference in chettinad dishes!... I dont think it will be aval. in US. I bought it from India...

    Hi Asha:
    Do try it and let me know. Thank u for ur comments...

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi ,..have tried microwave version of chettinad chicken..but this version looks tasty and authentic,..willsure try///

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Notyet100:
    Do try it... Thank u for ur comments....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love chettinad cuisine Sukanya.Coming over to ur place to smell it...Congrats on ur award dear

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow sukanya..love this.....so creamy and rich..the presentation is simply superbbbb!!!tempting photos making me droooooollll!!!:)
    congrats on ur award sukanya..u very well deserved it:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. u know its my fav dish ...i luv to have with palappam....its soo yummjy and gr88t presention with fried curry leaves....yummyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Kamala:
    U r always welcomed dear. Thank u for ur comments

    Hi Ranji:
    Thank u.....

    Hi Suma Rajesh:
    Thank u...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks so delicious.
    I love them with gravy than dry.
    Have bookmarked it to make them.
    Congrats with the award

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Happy cook....
    Do try it and let me know. Thank u for ur comments...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness, I am seriously drooling here :)

    Congrats on your deserved award!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Cynthia:
    Thank u...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks absolutely delicious, I second Cynthia, seriously droolworthy. The black Pepper takes it to a new level

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thats a nice thick gravy....looks tempting. Congrats on the award.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That looks delicious Sukanya, chettinadu dishes never go wrong... :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi indosungod:
    Ya the black pepper really speaks in the dish. Tahnk u for the comments...

    Hi Pravs:
    Thank u for ur comments

    Hi Sig:
    Ya that's right. Thank u...

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love chettinad chicken! Your version really looks spectacular! Congrats on the well deserved award, Sukanya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I saw this a little late!
    Congrats on your award, and thank you for thinking of me, Sukanya.:D

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awesome!!! My Husand and I enjoyed the authentic taste of chettinad chicken gravy...Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous17/5/09

    I tried your recipe today without blackstone flower ( never heard about it)...it had great success!

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nice one Sukanya ! U have wonderful Blog ..Thanks for the comment@ my Blog Keep visitng!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anonymous4/5/11

    I tried this and It's really tasty,surprised with the flavor , awesome. Thanks for your recipe - Sathya

    ReplyDelete
  34. Is it boneless chicken ?

    ReplyDelete
  35. David_Kerrigan20/11/11

    Id like to try this recipe but isnt just 1lb of chicken too little? thanks for answer!

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online