All might have come across many Chettinad chicken recipes in blogs or in websites or in books. It’s not new to any one but I think mine is different because of the spices I have used. I have tried to get the exact spice used in the recipe. Two main spices are the Mace and Black Stone Flower. They really make a big difference of flavor in the gravy.
Chicken Chettinad is well known to every one because of the spicy gravy in it, this gravy comes to live because of the spice that blends into it. They taste great with paratha, chapattis, idiappam, idly…..many more.
To marinate the chicken:
Chicken – 1 lb
Lemon juice – 2 teaspoon
Salt – ½ teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
To dry roast and grind:
Dry red chilli – 10nos
Coriander seed – 2 tablespoon
Cumin seeds – 2 teaspoon
Fennel seeds – 2 teaspoon
Black pepper corns – 2 teaspoon
Cashew nut – 10
Split roasted gram – 2 tablespoon
Cinnamon – 4”
Cloves – 4
Cardamom – 4
Star Anise – 2
Mace – 2
Shredded coconut – ¼ cup
For the Gravy:
Bay Leaf – 2
Black stone flower – 2
Onion – 3 big
Tomato – 1 big
Ginger garlic paste – 2 tablespoon
Red chilli powder – ¼ teaspoon or more
Water – ¼ cup
Oil – 2 tablespoon
1. Cut the chicken into small peacies and marinate for more than 2 hours.
2. Dry roast the above ingredients(To dry roast and grind:
) for 3 minutes and grind to a fine powder or to a
3. Heat oil in the pan and add the bay leaves and black stone flower and then the ginger garlic paste.
4. Now add the onions and fry for 2 minutes then add the marinated chicken and satue it for few minutes.
5. Pour the ground masala to the chicken and fry it for some time, then add the tomatoes, chilli powder, and salt and pour some water and allow the chicken to cook.
6. Bring it to the desired consistency and add the curry leaves and coriander leaves and sauté it for few minutes.
Swati of Chatkhor and Ranji of Ranji’s Kitchen Corner , passed the NICE MATTER Award to me. Thank u friends for passing it to me. I feel very happy to receive it form u girls. Very horned!…. I would like to pass this to u people too, and also to.
JZ of Tasty treats
Sagari of Indian Cooking
Tbc of a The budding cook
Sra of When my soup came alive
Sorry for missing some other friends, will add them in next post…..