Omm Podi / Sev

Sev or Omm podi is a very famous snack in both south and north part of India. This is a recipe followed in south.




This is a very easy snack which I always make and store it in my pantry. They are very helpful for making many more chats like Bel puri, Dhai puri, raita etc….

For any festival or get-together, this is the first snack Mom makes in my house. I love it a lot. There are many variations that can be made to this sev. I sometime add chili powder to make a spicy version of sev. But traditionally only ajwani is added to sev. The big advantage for this snack is that, it is made with all simple ingredients and it can be made very quickly.

Ingredients :


Besan – 1 cup
Rice flour – 1 tablespoon
Ajwani – 1/4 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – 1/8 teaspoon
Salt – ½ teaspoon
Curry leaves – 10





Procedure :


Mix besan, rice flour, and turmeric powder, salt.

Powder the ajwani very fine and mix with the above mixture.

Add enough water and make a thick batter.

Grease the idiappam mold with oil and fill the batter in the mould.

Heat oil in a pan and press the mould with batter no the hot oil like an idiappam and deep fry it.

Remove from oil and drain it on a paper towel. Repeat this till the batter is finished and stacks all the deep fried ones in a bowl.

Deep fry the curry leaves and adds to bowl, let it cool. Now crush the sev with hands into small pieces.

28 comments:

  1. Ha, those omm podi reminds the festive time. Good one , I make pretty much the same way

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite on Sukanya..lovely n looks delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omm podi looks so yummy.. ur recipe looks easy.. will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you have to remind me of chaats?????The sev looks perfect.Nice bright photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to havve them.
    Love the colour too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see festivity everywhere... Colorful and gracious looking Sev...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too make the same way Sukanya..My daughter loves this so much..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice and crispy ...can;t wait to have them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. loooks very fresh and crisp...i am tempted to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look perfectly done sev:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. vow vow vow........i dont know what to say........this one looks so tempting.so colorful.so perfect picture.......i simply loved it sukanya......i really appreciate ur effort......

    ReplyDelete
  12. I make mine similarly ....yours looks perfect...reminds me that Diwali is round the corner :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful color! I like the last pic the best!

    ReplyDelete
  14. aaahaaa...slurrrp....sukanya, Sev looks crisp n nice dear..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sev is looking crispy and yummy..Nice touch with the curry leaves..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sukanya sev looks crispy and divine..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Reminds me of my home, during Diwali we make Sev along with other snacks...
    Sev looks just perfect....

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is just great, suk!! i loooove these, its been a long time since I've had any! :-) Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. wooo wht a wonderful colour?..its very attractive and inviting..lov tht curry leaves on top..gud combi colour..

    ReplyDelete
  20. what a beautiful color sukanya ,looks very beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  21. ok tell me when are you going to send that om podi to me? Just kidding. YOu are making my mouth water with those lovely pics.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm all for savoury snacks - oma podi, kara boondhi.. that first pic. is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  23. its so simple to make is it ? looks appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! sev looks so delish Sukanya! very pretty too..:)

    Cheers,
    Siri

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Sukanya,
    perfect looking omapodi... Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just the right thing to have with Diwali around the corner. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  27. looks authentic..perfect for the festive season..

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online