Pears - 3 peeled, halved, cored (about 1 pound)
Apple juice or water - 1/3 cup
Firmly packed brown sugar - 1/3 cup
Unsalted butter - 3 tablespoons
Vanilla ice cream, for serving
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
1. Peal the pears and remove the core and cut in half.
2. Arrange the pears cut side up on a heavy baking dish.
3. Whisk the apple juice or water (I have used water) and sugar in a small heavy
saucepan over medium-high heat until the sugar dissolves. Whisk in the butter.
4. Pour the sauce over the pears.
5. Bake until the pears are crisp-tender and beginning to brown, about 35 minutes.
6. Spoon the pears onto plates. Top with ice cream. Drizzle with the remaining juices and serve.
Handy Tips :
The pears can also be served frozen. To do so, cool the pears, then place them in the freezer until frozen solid, about 8 hours.