Crab Masala

Crab is my favorite seafood. This crab masala is my grandma’s recipe. I have just blindly followed her recipe as it always turns out perfect for me. I am very happy to share this with my friends.







Crab masala was one of the most preferred seafood for me. Two weeks back fortunately I found some small stone crab claws in my grocery store, so immediately bought some home. They were so fresh and tasted great.

This is my contribution for this month’s food blog event - Fishing trip conducted by Jeena of Jeena's Kitchen.




Ingredients :



Cleaned Crabs – 1 lb
Green Chilies – 4 to 5
Onions – 1 large
Tomato – 1 small
Ginger – 1 inch piece
Garlic – 4 pods
Chili powder – ¼ teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Salt
Grated Coconut – ½ cup
Coriander leaves – few

For Tempering:
Mustard – ¼ teaspoon
Urad dal – ½ teaspoon
Curry leaves - 10

Procedure :


1. Heat oil in a pan and add the green chilies and fry them for few seconds. (be careful they can pop out from pan).

2. Then add the onions and tomato let it sauté it for few seconds and then add the ginger garlic and sauté till the raw smell is gone. Let it cool and grind it to a fine paste.

3. Then in the same pan add some oil and do the tempering with the above ingredients. Then add the ground mixture followed by the cleaned crab pieces.

4. Now add chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and 1 cup of water and stir it well, close the pan and allow the crab to cook. The crab will change the color when it is cooked.

5. In the meanwhile grind the coconut to a fine paste with some water and set it aside.

6. When the crab is cooked and the gravy come to a needed consistency, add the coconut paste and stir well. ( after adding the coconut it is not advisable to cook for a long time) Before removing form heat add the chopped coriander leaves and serve it with hot rice…..

20 comments:

  1. It has been years i had crab, we make it the similar way but few more ingredients are added. Beautifully presented Suganya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, crab! I have never made crab at home.. Have tried a few times in restaurants in India.. yours tempts me to make at home..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crab masala looking real nice...loved the pictures too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi sukanya,
    crab masala tempting me ...presentation is too good

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont eat Sukanya..But I love the lovely presentation dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have tasted crabs when my friends prepare at my home..but i have not tryed yet...urs looks mouthwatering and tempting...lovly presentation

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous21/8/08

    Though I can't taste them, they sure look colourful... And sukanya, you can sure post non-veg for Sunday Snacks event.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this is a lovely crab recipe. Grandmas always have great recipe don't they? IT sounds delicous and I love the presentation it is beautiful.

    Great entry thank you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sukanya the presentation is mind blowing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the taste of crab! It's so nice of you to share a family recipe as they are always so special :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey sukanya
    thats an interesting recipe .thanks for sharing your age-old well tatsted. i will try it for prawns as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm inviting myself over.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Picture says it all..Delcious..Never tried cooking crab at home..Will try soon...

    ReplyDelete
  14. a small treat for u in my blog..collect it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. HAPPY GANESH CHATURTHI DEAR:))
    Lovely presentation dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. sukanya...wht happend for long?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, lovely crab masala! I love crab meat, and only make the crab fry with coconut, or the gravy with masala. This looks yum. Do you know to make crab soup also? Please post it if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  18. amazing crab masala! I love crab curry, and crab fry with grated coconut that my mother makes. This is different, and I wish I could try it, but dont know if I will get fresh crab here. Will see.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Crab is one of my favorites too..This masala is looking too good and presentation is excellent..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous24/11/08

    All of the ingredients do sound fresh and tasty :). The photos look delicious, this looks perfect for a party. I'd love to include your recipe on our blog. Please let me know if you're interested.

    Sophie, Key Ingredient Chief Blogger
    Sophie@keyingredient.com

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online