Uthappam is a kind of dosa with is very famous in south India. Basically it is made out of sour idly/dosa batter. I always make it with dosa batter. To make it sour I used to add sour curd.
Usually uthappam is make in 8" round and 1/2" thick. TO make it more festive and interesting I made it in small round shapes. And almost all vegetables can be added to the uthappam. Onion uthappam is one type of it.
I make many types of Uthappam such as plain, onion, carrot, peas, cashew nut, coconut, podi........and many more. One of my family's favorite tiffin is Uthappam...This is one of the regular breakfast in my family.
So Onion Uthappam
is my first contribution to Nupar's A to Z of Indian Vegetables event for "O".
Dosa Batter - 1 cup
Sour Curd - 1/2 cup
Grated onion - 2 tablespoon
Minced Green chili - 2
Ginger paste - 1 teaspoon
Butter - 2 tablespoon
Vegetables cut in small piece - 1/4 cup (i have used grated carrots, corn kernel and peas)
Preheat the dosa tawa
1. Mix sour curd, grated onion, minced green chills, ginger paste to the dosa batter.
2. Grease the hot tawa with some butter.
3. Scoop the batter with a small spoon on the hot tawa. Make 3 to 4 small dosa at once.
4. Sprinkle it with the chopped veggies.
5. Cover the tawa with a big plate for 5 mins or until the dosa is cooked.
6. Remove and serve hot with sambar, chutney and idly podi.